ASHBOURN parish contains the township and market town of Ashbourn; the townships of Alsop-le-Dale and Eaton, Newton Grange and Offcote Underwood, in the hundred of Wirksworth; the townships of Hulland, Hulland Ward, Hulland Ward Intakes, Sturston and Yeldersley, in the Appletree Hundred; and Clifton and Compton township, in the Morleston and Litchurch hundred. The entire parish contains 10,167 acres of land, and in 1851 had 1,049 inhabited houses, and 72 uninhabited; 5087 inhabitants, of whom 2,409 were males and 2,678 females; rateable value £23,284 4s. 0d.
ASHBOURN, ASHBURNE, or ASHBORNE, is a township, and well-built improving Market town, beautifully situated in a deep, rich, well wooded valley, on the eastern bank of the river Dove, over which there is a stone bridge. It is 13 miles N.W. from Derby , 47 from Manchester , and 146¾ miles from London by railway, and 139 miles N.W. by road. The township comprises only 57 acres of land, nearly all of which is built upon, and in 1851, had 500 houses and 2,154 inhabitants, of whom 951 were males and 1,203 females; rateable value £5,000. The houses in general are built of red brick, roofed with slate, and the streets are paved, and lighted with gas; one main street runs though the town from E. to W., and an open space to the N.E. forms the Market-place. It is one of the polling places for the southern division of the county, and it is said that not less than 30,000 persons pass through the town every summer, to visit the celebrated Dovedale.
The scenery the immediate neighbourhood of Ashbourn is beautifully diversified with hill and dale. The soil is fertile, and generally covered with a rich herbage, chiefly used as grazing land for dairy purposes—large quantities of cheese being made in the surrounding district. The chief support of the town is derived from its well reputed markets and fairs, although many of the inhabitants find employment at the cotton mills in the immediate neighbourhood.
At the south-western extremity of the town is the Ashbourn branch of the North Staffordshire railway, 6¾ miles in length, (a single line) and was opened for traffic in May, 1852. The Station consists of booking offices, warehouse, and engine shed, built of white stone found in the excavation of the railway, at a cost of £25,000 to £28,000; this station is the nearest point by which railway excursionists can approach the far-famed and romantic Dovedale, of which thousands annually avail themselves.
Adjoining the railway station is “Godwin’s Rosarium,” which is open to the public, free of charge; and as it affords perhaps the most beautiful view of the picturesque town of Ashbourn, and the surrounding country, independent of its own beauty from its extensive collection of roses, trees, shrubs, &c., it has become a very popular place of resort, and is considered by its numerous visitors as a very attractive feature in this delightful locality. The proprietor, having been celebrated for the growth of roses for about 30 years, which have been transmitted to nearly all parts of the United Kingdom, it was thought, by the establishment of the above Rosarium, a selection of all the choicest varieties might be exhibited on its elevated slopes, to the greatest advantage, and prove a very desirable adjunct to the town and neighbourhood. Probably Arboretum might be considered a more appropriate designation than Rosarium, as a great variety of trees and shrubs are grown, as well as roses, but the latter feature has been introduced gradually since its establishment by the present proprietor, in 1852.
At the time of the Norman conquest this place was held in royal demesne, and is called in Domesday book, Esseburn. King John granted it to William-de-Ferrars, Earl of Derby, but on the rebellion of his grandson, in the succeeding reign, it was seized by the crown, and given to Edmund, son of Henry III. It afterwards became the property of the Cokaynes, a very ancient family, whose principal residence was at Ashbourn Hall, for several generations; from this family it was purchased in 1671 by Sir Wm. Boothby, Bart., in the possession of whose family it remained until the death of the late Sir Wm. Boothby, Bart., in 1847, when it was divided and passed into other hands; the manor being purchased by a Mr. Craddock, in 1853, and the Hall, with about 90 acres of land, by Capt. Fredk. Holland , RN., in 1852, whose residence it now is. It is situated at the eastern extremity of the town, on a gentle declivity overlooking the park and gardens, which are laid out with great taste. The house underwent extensive repairs, and a few alterations were then made, but the old part of the house, that in which the Pretender and suite (in 1745,) are said to have lodged, on the occasion of his memorable march to Derby , still remains. On one of the doors is the name of one the officers (Sir Thos. Sheridan) written in chalk, and overlaid with white paint, still preserved as a relic. The Church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is a very fine cruciform structure, exhibiting good specimens of the first, second, and third periods of Pointed architecture. The greater portion of it was built in 1241, as is shown by an ancient brass inscription in the church. At the intersection rises the tower, which is surmounted by a lofty octagonal spire, ribbed, and pierced with twenty lights, and attaining the height of 212 feet from the ground; its proportions are truly beautiful, and it is very justly styled “the pride of the Peak.” The chancel is the oldest portion of the fabric, and contains twelve lancet windows of rare proportions and beauty. The interior of the church, which is 180 feet in length, is very spacious, and will accommodate 1,400 persons. It was re-pewed and renovated in 1840, at a cost of £4,568, raised by subscription, except £400 granted by the Incorporated society for building and repairing churches. The tower contains a peal of eight fine-toned bells, and an ancient Sanctus bell in the spire.
There are several good monuments to the families of Bradburne, Boothby, Errington, &c., and the Cokayne chapel, which is lighted by two triple lancet windows of remarkable beauty, contains four altar tombs of much interest, two of which are surmounted by effigies in alabaster, the sides are much enriched with gothic tracery and figures of angels, oddly enough employed in holding shields charged with armorial bearings. Here is also a much admired monument by Banks, R. A., to the memory of Penelope, only child of Sir Brooke Boothby, Bart., who died in 1791, aged five years; the figure, which is recumbent, is exquisitely chiselled in Carrara marble; it is said that Chantry took his design for his well-known group in Lichfield Cathedral, from this monument.
The Rev. — Langton, Dean of Clogher, is interred here, he lost his life by falling with his horse down a precipice at Dovedale, in 1761, Miss Laroche was riding behind him on the same horse, but was providentially preserved, being caught in a bush in her descent. The circumstance of King Charles attending divine service in this church in 1645, is recorded in the parish register. The Churchyard is spacious, and has a fine broad walk running from end to end, between an avenue of Limes; it was enlarged in 1845, by G. H. Errington, Esq. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of Mappleton annexed, rated at £5 4s. 7d., in the parliamentary returns at £65 ; gross income, £300. The Bishop of Lichfield is patron; Geo. H. Errington, Esq., lay impropriator, and Rev. John Richd. Errington, M.A., vicar. The curates are the Revs. Launcelot Errington, Athur Duckworth, and John Worthington.
The Old Vicarage House, which was close to the church, and in a ruinous condition, was taken down in 1854, and a new site having been given by G. H. Errington, Esq., a good residence has just been erected at a considerable cost by the present vicar. It is prettily situated on an eminence at a short distance from the church, and commands some beautiful views; it is built of stone in the Jacobœan style of architecture, and when the grounds are completed, it will form a very pleasing object on approaching the town.
Sion Independent Chapel, on the Derby road, is a neat and substantial building, with a minister’s residence and six alms-houses attached, (see Charities) were erected and endowed in the year 1800, by Mr. John Cooper, a native of Ashbourn. In early life Mr. Cooper followed the laborious occupation of a brick maker, but being disgusted with the employment, he removed to London , and by frugality and persevering industry, acquired a considerable property. In 1816, a gallery was added to the chapel, at a cost of £150; and in 1854, an organ, at a cost of £100, raised by subscriptions; it will seat about 500 hearers. At the south end is a neat marble tablet to the memory of the donor, who died March 2nd, 1808 , aged 76 years. The Rev. John Hollis is the pastor.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a commodious chapel, situated in Compton ; it is a neat brick building, erected in 1822, contains a good organ, and will seat about 700 hearers.
Primitive Methodist’s Chapel, Union street , is a neat brick building, erected 1846, and will seat about 200 persons.
Free Grammar School, in Church street , is an ancient stone building, which was founded in 1585, under a charter of Elizabeth . It is endowed with estates producing £213 15s. 4d. per annum; two-thirds of which, with a residence and garden, are given to the head master, and the remainder, with a house, to the second master. The Rev. Geo. Edward Gepp, M.A., is the head master. The Free School , Church Street , is a small inconvenient building, endowed by Nicholas Spalden, in 1710, with £10 per annum, for the instruction of 30 boys, and a like sum for the instruction of 30 girls. The endowment of these institutions will be seen on referring to the charities. National School , for boys and girls, is a substantial stone edifice, situated on an eminence N. of the church, the average attendance is 85 boys and 72 girls.
Infant School, Back lane, formerly used as a chapel, is a large brick building, at which about 100 children receive instruction.
The News and Reading Room, and Literary Institute, Market-place, established in 1838, has for its object the encouragement of the pursuit of literature and science among the inhabitants of Ashbourn and its neighbourhood, by means of a library, occasional lectures, and discussions; the News Room is open from 9 o’clock in the morning, until 10 o’clock in the evening, and is well supplied with the London daily and Provincial newspapers and periodicals, and the Library comprises upwards of 1,600 volumes. Jno. Bamford and Alfred Osborne, secretaries.
The Savings’ Bank, was commenced in 1818, and a handsome stone structure appropriated to its use, was erected in Church street , in 1843. The building cost upwards £2,000, which was paid out of the surplus fund. The amount of deposits in Nov., 1855, was £44,365 14s. 9d., and the number of depositors 1,394; amongst which are 16 friendly and 8 charitable institutions. Of this number, 91 were depositors whose respective balances did not exceed £1, 266 not exceeding £5, 204 not exceeding £10, 153 not exceeding £15, 78 not exceeding £20, 138 not exceeding £30, 111 not exceeding £40, 66 not exceeding £50, 105 not exceeding £75, 54 not exceeding £100, 47 not exceeding £125, 17 not exceeding £150, 35 not exceeding £200, and 5 which exceeded that amount, Mr. Thos. Jas. Jones, actuary.
The Gas Works, on the Manchester road, about a ¼ mile S. from the town, were established in 1840, at a cost of £2,200, by a company of £10 shareholders. They were enlarged in 1852, at a cost of £200, half of which was raised by the issue of new shares, making the paid-up capital £2,300. The gasometer will hold about 10,000 cubic feet of gas, which is distributed to the consumers at 7s. per 1,000 cubic feet. Mr. Wm. Shipley, secretary, Geo. Wildsmith, working manager.
New Prison or Lock-up, Union street, a substantial brick building, erected in 1844, contains 4 cells and a residence for the superintendent constable, Mr. Geo. Field.
Petty Sessions are held at the Green Man Inn, every Saturday, at 12 o’clock , the sitting magistrates are, Sir Hy. Fitzherbert, Bart., John Harrison, Esq., Fras. Wright, Esq., Jno. G. Johnson, Esq., John Wright, Esq., Peter Bainbrigge-le-Hunt, Esq., and Fras. Hurt, Esq.
Fairs are held on the first Tuesday in January, February 13th, second Tuesday in March, for cheese, (and the preceding day for cattle,) April 3rd, last Thursday in April, May 21st, July 5th, August 16th, third Tuesday in September, (day before for cattle,) October 20th, Nov. 29th, and December 15th, for horses, cattle and wool; when a statute for hiring servants is also held. The Feast is on the first Sunday after August 16th. The Market day is on Saturday.
The New Small Debts Act, or County Courts —This important act which superseded the Court of Requests, came into operation on the 15th March, 1847 . Ashbourn County Court is held at the Green Man Inn, monthly, and comprises the following district viz.—Alkmonton, Alstonfield, Ashbourn, Atlow, Bentley, (Fenney) Bentley, (Hungry) Biggin by Kirk Ireton, Biggin by Newhaven, Blore with Swinscoe, Bradley, Brailsford, Calton in Blore, Calton in Mayfield, Calton in Waterfall, Calwich, Clifton and Compton, Eaton and Alsop, Edlaston and Wyaston, Ednaston, Ellastone, Hartington (Nether Quarter,) Hartington (Town Quarter,) Heathcote, Hollington, Hope Dale, Hulland, Hulland Ward, and Intakes, Ilam, Kniveton, Lea Hall, Longford, Mammerton, Mappleton, Mayfield, Mercaston, Mill Dale, Narrow Dale, Newhaven, Newton Grange, North Wood, Offcote Underwood, Okeover, Osmaston, Parwich, Prestwood, Ramshorn, Rodsley, Shirley, Snelston, Stanshope, Stanton, Sturston, Stydd, Thorpe, Throwley, Thurvaston (Nether,) Tissington, Waterfall, Winkhill, Woodhouses, Wootton Yeaveley, Yeldersley-cum-Whaley.
Judge, J. T. Cantrell, Esq.
Registrars, Philip Hubbersty, Esq., Wirksworth; and Wm. Tomlinson, Esq., Church sheet, Ashbourn.
High Bailiff, William Marsh, Wirksworth.
Ashbourn Poor Law Union, comprises 61 parislses and townships, with 63 guardians, of which 46 parishes are in Derbyshire, and 15 in Staffordshire, divided into 6 surgical and registration districts. The guardians meet every other Saturday at half-past 10, at the Board room, in the New Union Workhouse, Church Banks, erected in 1855, at the cost of upwards of £8,000. It is a large handsome stone building, which will accommodate 160 paupers; the present number in the house is 101, and the average number 90.
The places marked * are in Staffordshire, and those with † form the Northern districts.
Alkmonton, Ashbourn, Atlow, †Ballidon, †Bentley Fenney, Bentley Hungry, Biggin, †*Blore with Swinscoe, †Bonsall, †Bradbourn, Bradley, Brailsford, †Brassington, †Callow, †*Calton in Blore, †Calton in Mayfield, †*Calton in Waterfall, *Calurch, †Carsington, Clifton and Compton, †Eaton and Alsop, Edlaston and Wyaston, *Ellastone, †Hartington Town Quarter, †Hartington Nether Quarter, Hognaston, Hollington, †*Hopton, Hulland, Hulland Ward, Hulland Ward Intakes, †Ible, * †Ilam, Kirk Ireton, Kniveton, *Lea Hall, Longford, †Mappleton, Mayfield, Mercaston, †Middleton by Wirksworth, †NewtonGrange, Offcote Underwood, * †Okeover, Osmaston, †Parwich, *Prestwood, Ramshorn, Rodsley, Shirley, Snelston, Stanton, Sturston, Stydd, †Thorpe, †Tissington, †*Waterfall, †*Woodhouses, *Wootton, Yeaveley, Yeldersley.
Chairman to Board of Guardians, William Smith, Esq.
Chaplain, The Vicar and Curates officiate gratuitously.
Clerk to Board of Guardians, Mr. Richard Holland.
Master and Matron, Mr. Samuel and Mrs. Ann Maria Walker.
Superintendent Registrar, and Registrar of Marriages, Mr. Richard Holland.
Registrar of Births and Deaths, John Bass, Ashbourn; John Oakden, Calton;
John Smith, Hartington; Samuel Finney, Mayfield; John Shaw, Longford and Wm. Buckley, Brassington.
Surgeons, Henry Greaves, Ashbourn and Mayfield; R. D. Goodwin, Parwich and Calton; J. B. Hall, Calton; William Cantrell, Brassington and the Workhouse; J. E. Fosbrooke, Hartington; G. Copestake, Longford and Brailsford districts.
Relieving Officers, Northern district, John Smith; Southern district, Thos. Millward.
COMPTON is a populous suburb of the town, partly in the township of Sturston , and partly in the township of Clifton with Compton . The east side of Compton extending from the bridge, including all the dwellings in Sturston lane, and on the Derby new road, being in Sturston township; while the south west side of Compton, from the bridge to Clifton lane, are in the township of Clifton with Compton. Belle Vue, consists of about a dozen houses, which form the northern suburb of the town, but situated in the township of Offcote Underwood . These houses, from their elevated position, command some very pleasing and picturesque views of the surrounding neighbourhood.
ALSOP-LE-DALE AND EATON, a township, chapelry, and secluded village, on the Bakewell road, 5½ miles N.N.W. from Ashbourn, contains 1467A. 2R. 28P. of land, and in 1851 had 12 houses, and 80 inhabitants, of whom 47 were males, and 33 females; rateable value, £1,551; The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor and principal owner, but Rev. J . E. Carr, Messrs. Curzon, Hope and Smart, Anthony Beresford, Esq., John Charles Burton Borough, Esq., Mr. John Mart, and Mr. Wm. Calladine, are also owners. The tithes were commuted in 1847, the rectorial for £175, and the vicarial for £9. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient Norman structure, and was re-pawed about 1850. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £49. The inhabitants and freeholders are the patrons, and the Rev. William Fisher, M.A., incumbent. In this village Thomas Becon, one of the most laborious and useful preachers and writers among the British reformers, took refuge from the furious persecution of Bonner, in 1544. In 1086, Alsop, which had been parcel of the ancient demesnes of the crown, was granted to William-de-Ferrers, Earl of Derby, who in the reign of King John, granted Alsop to Gweno, son of Gamel-de-Alsop. His descendants enjoyed the manor for seventeen generations, until the close of the seventeenth century, when Anthony Alsop, Esq., sold the estates to John Borrow, Esq., of Derby , and Sir Philip Gell, Bart. The Beresfords and Milwards afterwards held it, and having since passed by sale through various hands, it is now the property of the Duke of Rutland.
COLD EATON, l½ miles N.W. from Alsop-le-Dale, consists of two farms, the largest of which is occupied by Mr. Thomas Wild. Cold Eaton is said to have belonged to the Vernons of Haddon, and a fourth part was many years in the Boothby family, it is now the property of the Duke of Rutland.
CLIFTON AND COMPTON towship, in the Morleston and Litchurch Hundred, contains 1025 acres of rich land, and in 1851, had 203 houses, and 887 inhabitants, of whom 421 were males, and 466 females; rateable value, £2966 12s. Miss Frances E. Hayne is lady of the manor and principal owner.
CLIFTON , is a chapelry and small well built village, near the confluence of the Ashbourn brook with the river Dove, about l½ miles S.W. from Ashbourn. The Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1845, at the cost of upwards of £1,200 raised chiefly by subscriptions through the exertions of the Rev. Samuel Shipley, the then vicar of Ashbourn, Philip Cupiss, Esq., and William Smith, Esq., aided by grants from the Incorporated and Diocesan Societies. It consists of a nave, south porch, and vestry, and has a stone pulpit, semi-hexagonal in form, resting upon a low inverted pyramid; at the west gable, an octagonal turret, with one bell, and at the east, a floriated cross, with a high pitched roof, covered with Newcastle tiles; the style being a transition from early English to the decorated. The church has been enclosed by a stone wall, and the village greatly improved by the taking down some old buildings which obstructed the view of it on the south. The tithes were commuted in 1846, the rectorial for £168 10s., and the vicarial for £12. The ancient chapel at Clifton , was taken down about the year 1750, and part of the materials were used to repair the chancel of Ashbourn church. The manors of Great and Little Clifton belonged to the Cokaynes, of Ashbourn, in the reigns of Henry VII., Henry VIII., and Queen Elizabeth, they are said to have held them under the Fitzherberts of Norbury. The manors afterwards came to the family of Hayne, in whose possession they still remain. In the accounts of the churchwardens of Uttoxeter, the following item occurs; 1645, August 26th, paid to the inhabitants of Clifton when the plague was there, £5. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £80, has been augmented with £800 Queen Anne’s bounty. The Vicar of Ashbourn is the patron, and the Rev. H. Gamble, B. A., incumbent, who resides at the parsonage house, which was provided at the cost of about £1,000, raised by subscriptions, aided by a grant of £200 from the Diocesan Church Extension Fund, and £200 from the Curates’ Aid Society Fund. A commodious school with teacher’s residence, was erected in 1855, at the cost of about £350, exclusive of the site, which was given by Wm. Smith, Esq. It is a mixed school, and capable of accommodating about 50 children, and the average attendance is 40. The Independents have a small chapel, erected by Mr. Dunnicliff. Two persons unknown gave 6s. 8d. each per annum, to the poor of this township for bread. This sum is now paid by the steward of the manor of Clifton , and distributed by the churchwardens on Christmas day. The poor also partake of Shaw and Denton ’s charity.—(See Ashbourn.)
HULLAND township, chapelry, and village, delightfully situated on an eminence, 4½ miles E. by N. from Ashbourn, in the Appletree hundred, contains 898A. 2R. 37P., of land, and in 1851 had 51 houses, and 219 inhabitants, of whom 113 were males, and 106 females; rateable value £985 3s. The principal owners are John Charles Burton Borough, Esq., Osborn Bateman, Esq., John Rooth, Esq., Mr. George Copestake, Mr. William Webster, and Mr. John Bowley, the former is lord of the manor. Here was formerly a chapel of ease, it was standing and was used for divine worship in 1712. A new district Church, dedicated to Christ, was erected in 1837, at the cost of £2,300 raised by subscriptions, aided by a grant of £245 from the Diocesan Church Building Society. It is a plain stone gothic edifice, having a tower at the west end. The interior contains about 300 sittings, of which 183 are free. The district assigned to this church is Hulland, Hulland Ward, Ward Gate, and Biggin. The living is a perpetual curacy in the alternate patronage of J. C. B. Borough, Esq., and the representative of the late John Blackwall, Esq., of Blackwall. The Rev. Charles Evans, is the incumbent. The tithes were commuted in 1847, the rectorial for £122, and the vicarial for £9. Here is a National school, situated near the church, with a residence for the teacher, at which about 60 children attend. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each places of worship here.
HULLAND, or HOLLAND , anciently HoiIant, at the Domesday survey was in the possession of Geoffrey Alselin. In 1485, John Bradburne and Anne, his wife, founded a chantry chapel at Hough, in this township, and endowed it with lands then valued at £5 0s. 10d. per annum, near which they had a large moated mansion, which in the seventeenth century came into possession of a branch of the ancient family of Borough or Borrow, originally De Burgh. The old moated house, which stood in the valley below the hall, was battered down in the time of the Commonwealth, two of its numerous ponds still remain. The present Old Hall was built out of the ruins, but stands on a much higher and healthier site; it is now a farm house, but still contains an old oak wainscotted room, and other signs of having seen better days. It has lately been re-roofed and restored by J. Wright, Esq. The New Hall of brick was built about 80 years ago, and has also undergone very considerable improvement and enlargement by the present occupier, John Wright, Esq., it is beautifully situated and commands some extensive views. Hulland is about 1000 feet above the level of the sea; its name is a corruption from, and signifies Highland , as in the island of Yell , Shetland, there is a village bearing the same name, it is situated on a high hill, and high is in those parts pronounced hull to this day. On a very clear day the Wrekin, in Shropshire , distant between 40 and 50 miles, is visible from the high ground near the church. The old pack horse and mule road between Manchester and London passed along these hills.
HULLAND WARD, township and district of scattered houses, in the Appletree hundred 5 miles E. from Ashbourn, contains 1,400 acres of land, and in 1851, had 84 houses, and 369 inhabitants, of whom 202 were males, and 167 females. This formerly comprised an extensive open, and partly extra-parochial district, which, at the enclosure, was allotted to 8 parishes. The principal owners are Lord Scarsdale, and the Rev. Charles Evans.
HULLAND WARD INTAKES, a township and small village, in the Appletree hundred, 6½ miles E. by S. from Ashbourn, contains 454A. 1R. 39P. of land, of which John Groves, Esq., owns 396 acres; Lord Scarsdale, 40 acres; and 18 acres belongs to an ancient chapel situated on land occupied by Mr. George Jepson, in Ravensdale Park. The chapel was built and the land left for the endowment of it, by Francis Brown, on condition that Divine service should be held there once a month. The occupier of the land has the power to appoint the minister. It is a small building capable of seating about 30 persons. The population in 1851, was 8 houses, and 44 inhabitants, of whom 23 were males, and 21 females; rateable value, £700. Directory. —John Charles Norton, Esq., Smith Hall; and George Jepson, farmer.
NEWTON GRANGE, a township, consisting of four scattered farms, 5 miles N. N. W. from Ashbourn, contains 743A. 3R. 32P. of land, and in 1851 had 6 houses, and 42 inhabitants, of whom 23 were males, and 19 females; rateable value £1,091 14s. The principal owners are Thomas William Evans, Esq., Lord Denman, William Hunter Bailey, Esq., George Goodwin Brittlebank, Esq., John Goodwin Johnson, Esq., and Mr. Wm. Fletcher; the former is lord of the manor. The tithes are paid by a modus amounting to 13s. 4d. At Domesday survey this was one of the manors of Henry de Ferrars. His descendant, Robert, Earl of Ferrars, gave it to the Abbey of Combermere, in Cheshire . King Henry VIII. granted it, with other possessions of that abbey, to George Cotton, Esq., from whose family it passed to that of Bentley. A moiety of it was forfeited on the attainder of Edward Bentley, Esq., in 1586; the other moiety had previously been sold to the Beresfords, who eventually became possessed of the whole, having purchased the forfeited moiety of Sir William Withipole, son-in-law of Sir Michael Stanhope, to whom it had been granted by Queen Elizabeth. After the death of Richard Beresford, Esq, of Ashbonrn, in 1790, it was sold in severalties; the late Thomas Evans, Esq., of Derby , being the principal purchaser. Directory: —Sarah and Francis Buxton, Boston Grange; Jph. Clewes, Broad Close; Richard Mountney, Grange; and Joseph Redfern, Moot Low, farmers.
OFFCOTE UNDERWOOD, a township and scattered district, adjoins the town of Ashbourn on the north, and extends to Kniveton; it contains the pleasant and well-built village of Ashbourn Green , ¾ miles N.E. from Ashbourn, and Sandy Brook, a village near Buxton road, 1¼ mile N. from Ashbonrn, 1748A. of fertile land occupied in dairy farms, and in 1851 had 77 houses, and 429 inhabitants, of whom 198 were males, and 231 females; rateable value, £4,894 19s. 7d. Miss Frances Eliz. Hayne is lady of the manor and principal owner. Sir Matthew Blakiston, Bart., Executor of the late John Radford, Esq., John Harrison, Esq., Capt. Frederick Holland, RN., Mr. Simms, Mr. John Smith, Mrs. Gleave, Mrs. Stoddart, and others, are also owners. The tithes were commuted in 1848, the rectorial for £277, and the vicarial for £15. Ashbourn Green Hall, a handsome mansion, situated on a gentle acclivity, formerly the seat of the Hayne family, is now occupied as a ladies boarding school. Sandy Brook Hall, one mile N. of Ashbourn, a beautiful modern mansion, near the Buxton road, with fine lawn and delightful pleasure grounds, is the seat and property of Sir Matthew Blakiston, Bart. The manor, Ophidicotes, of Domesday survey, and Underwood, which is not mentioned in that snrvey, were anciently separate manors and townships, but have long been considered one. In the reign of Charles I., they were granted away from the Crown. This estate was afterwards possessed by the Newtons of Ashbourn Green, one of whose co-heiresses brought them to the family of Hayne.
STURSTON, a township and scattered village, pleasantly situated in the vale of the Compton Brook, one mile east from Ashbourn, of which town in connection with Compton , it forms a suburb. It contains 916A. 2R. 16P, of land, and in 1851 had 145 houses, and 664 inhabitants, of whom 330 were males, and 334 females; rateable value, £2539 7s. 10d. Mrs. ELiz. Stoddart is lady of the neanor, which is freehold, and also a considerable owner. Sir Edmund Antrobus, Bart., Executers of the late Mrs. Mary Bamford, Robert Hartshorn, Esq., and others, are also owners. The tithe was commuted in 1847; the rectorial for £147, and the vicarial for £10. Sturston Hall, an ancient mansion, now a farm house, where the Tomlinson family, have been occupants for nearly three cemturies. This manor was inherited at an early period by the Knivetons, from the Grendons. In the year 1655, Sir Andrew Kniveton sold it to Francis Meynell, of London , from whom it has descended to Mrs. Stoddart. Ashbourn Grove, a neat well-built mansion, picturesquely seated on a gentle acclivity, one mile N.E. from Ashbourn, is now unoccupied.
YELDERSLEY, a township and small scattered village, 3 miles E. S. E. from Ashbourn contains 1455A. 2R. 34P. of fertile land, one half of which is arable, and in 1851 had 35 houses, and 199 inhabitants, of whom 101 were males, and 98 females; rateable value, £1805 6s. 10d. The principal owners are the executors of the late Mrs. Meynell, Francis Wright, Esq., John Harrison, Esq., and Charles Sprengle Greves, Esq., QC. The tithes were commuted in 1841, the rectorial for £198, and the vicarial for £10. Yeldersley House, a neat mansion, 2½ miles S.S.E. from Ashbourn, is the property of John Harrison, Esq., and the residence of the Rev. Roger Ryland Vaughton. Painter’s Lane, a district of scattered houses, on the Derby road, 2½ miles S.E. from Ashbourn. At the Domesday survey, this manor, (Geldeslei) was held under Henry de Ferrars, by Cole, whose son Robert conveyed it to Sewal de Monjoy. This family possessed it for several generations, and from them it passed to the Irelands , who held it in the reign of Henry VII. The Montgomerys soon afterwards possessed the manor, from whom it passed to the Vernons, and then to the Meynells. The Shirleys at a remote period held this as a mesne manor, under its early lords. The families of Whitehall , Pegge, and Lee, of Lady Hole, (all extinct,) held considerable estates in this township. Paul Kirkland, in 1714, gave his estates in Wyaston, in trust, one moiety for the poor of Edlaston and Wyaston, and the other moiety to Yeldersley and Painter’s Lane. £12 13s. 9d. being the amount of each half year’s rent belonging to this township, it is distributed at Midsummer and Christmas, in sums varying from 5s. to 30s.
CHARITIES.—A Free Grammar school was founded in the 27th year of the reign of Elizabeth, and is endowed with the following benefactions, viz. :—a farm at Shirebrook, in 1613, now let for £88 per annum; £70 left by Roger Oldfield in 1610; £91 12s, per annum, out of lands left by Christopher Pegg, in 1669; upwards of £20 a year from tenements in the Middle Cale, left by an unknown donor; an annual sum of £5 received from the Duke of Norfolk; £6 13s. 4d. per annum left by John Hanson in 1678; and small sums to the amount of £4 per annum left by various donors. The gross income of the school is £213 15s. 4d. it was ordered by the statute in 1798, that all children who should come from their parents’ place of abode and return the same evening, being able to read, should be admitted as free scholars.
Robert Bateman, Esq., and divers other charitable persons, in 1631, by voluntary contributions, raised a sum of money and purchased a rent charge of £40 per annum for the maintenance of an able and orthodox preacher, who should weekly preach two sermons in the town of Ashbourn; but if divine service shonld be discontinued, then the said rent charge was to be distributed amongst the poor inhabitants of the parish.
Owfield Almshouses, founded in 1630, consist of eight dwellings for poor widows or widowers, who have a weekly allowance of 2s. 6d. each from the bequest of Roger Owfield, Thomasine Owfield, his widow, and the rents of land left by Nicholas Spalden in 1710. They also receive 5s. per annum, the gift of Jane James, in 1669; 10s. from Richard Peters, in 1706; 2s. 6d. from Paul Taylor; and 1s. a year from George Taylor.
Pegg’s Almshouses, situated in Church street , was founded by Christopher Pegg, in 1669 for six poor old persons. German Pole, in 1685, gave land to augment their weekly income, which, till 1822, was 10s. per week, but on account of the diminution of the rents, was at that time reduced to its present amount, 8s. An annual sum of £4 1s. 8d., also left by Mr. Christopher Pegg, is distributed to the poor on St. Thomas ’s day.
Bread to the amount of 2s. per week is given to the poor from the bequest of Nicholas Hurt, in 1637.
John Hanson, in 1678, left a rent charge of £5 a year, which is distributed to the most necessitous poor on St. Thomas ’s day.
Edward Shaw, and Joan Denton, in 1625, left £5 per annum, of which 30s. is paid to the vicar, 10s: to the master of the Grammar school, and £3 to poor widows of the township.
Paul Taylor, in 1640, gave £2 4s. a year to be divided among the inmates of Owfield almshouses, and 1s. to be given in bread to the poor every Sunday.
George Taylor, in 1668, left £100 to be lent on sufficient security to 10 young tradesmen, from time to time, at £5 per annum. We are not aware in what manner the £100 given by this donor was disposed of; but an annual sum of £5 is now paid on land called the Sole Meadow; and £2 10s. is paid for a weekly distribution of bread, 20s. is given to 40 poor housekeepers, 20s. is paid to the vicar, and the remainder is given to the inmates of Owfield’s almshouses.
The poor have bread to the amount of £2 12s. per annum, from the bequest of Edward Pegg, in 1666.
Catherine Port, in 1722, left £5 per annum to the poor, out of an estate at Ilam, but that sum has not been paid since 1809, when the estate was sold.
In 1730, Elizabeth Buxton, left £2 5s. a year, to be distributed as follows, viz.: 10s. to the vicar, 4s. to the singers, 20s. to the poor, and 10s. to be laid out in Bibles for children of the Free school.
Nicholas Spalden, in 1710, left his estate, upon trust, to build 10 almshouses for as many poor people, each to receive 2s. 6d. per week, and clothing to the amount of 20s. annually. He also directed neat houses to be built for four clergymen’s widows, to whom he bequeathed £10 per annum. An annual sum of £10 a year each is paid to a schoolmaster and schoolmistress, from the bequest of the same donor, for the instruction of 30 boys and 30 girls, in a school-room which he erected. A distribution of bread is also made from the funds of this charity every Sunday. An annuity of £8 a year was also left to the vicar for reading divine service every Wednesday and Friday, the same amount to be given to a lecturer, and 20s. yearly to the bell-ringers. This latter charity is disposed of in the following manner, viz. :—40s. is given to the poor of Snelston, 20s. to time poor of Clifton , 40s. to the poor of Mayfield, 20s. to the poor of Mappleton, and the remaining £11 is expended in coal, and given to the poor of Ashbourn.
In 1801, John Cooper, erected a place of worship, called Zion Chapel, with a residence for the minister, and founded six almshouses adjoining the chapel, for the same number of poor men or women. The endowment consists of £4,350 reduced three per cents., out of the dividends of which £10 10s. is paid to each inmate, and upwards of £70 a year is given to the minister.
In 1811, Thomas Chatterton, left £80, and a public subscription was made in addition to that sum, by means of which £500 was vested in the 3½ per cent. reduced annuities, and the dividends given to the residents in Spalden’s almshouses.
Isaac Hawkins, of Burton-upon-Trent , left £400, now in the three-and-a-half per cents., the dividends of which are distributed to the clergymen’s widows endowed by Nicholas Spalden.
In 1817, the Rev. Francis Gisborne left a large sum of money in the public funds, vested in trustees, to pay the dividends thereof to 100 rectories, vicarages, curaeies, and chapelries, in the county of Derby . £5 10s. being the share hitherto appropriated to each place entitled to partake of this charity, is expended in flannel, and given to the most deserving poor of the parish of Ashbourn.
Jesse Watts Russell, Esq., in 1841, gave £1,178 6s. 8d., which was laid out in £1,333 6s. 8d. stock, three per cent consols. The dividends, amounting to £40 per annum, are paid, according to his direction, in equal shares to the four inhabitants of Spalden’s Clergymen’s Widows’ Almshouses.
Humphrey Calvert, in 1841, left a rent charge of 6s. 8d. a year, out of land called Littlewood, to be given to the poor of the township of Clifton in this parish.
In 1843, Edward Corden. of Clifton, of his free will, and in performance of his brother, Uriah Cordon’s last will, transferred £4,720 in the three per cent, consols, into the names of the governors and assistants of the Ashbourn Grammar school, upon trust, £48 thereof to be paid annually to the four occupants of the Widows’ almshouses, £52 yearly to be paid to the ten occupants of Spalden’s almshouses, and £41 12s., to the inmates of Owfield’s almshouses, in weekly sums of 2s. each. The said Edward Corden, in 1844, invested £500 in the three per cents., in the names of the said governor and assistants, to pay the dividends for the benefit of the Ashbourn National and Church Sunday schools. He also left by will, £50 a year to the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, on account of which sum the society is to supply Bibles and Prayer Books to that amount, to the poor of Ashbourn, Clifton, Compton, Sturston, and Offcote, to be distributed by the vicar.
David Bradley, of London, and Septimus Bradley, of Ashbourn, merchants, in 1844, invested £300 in the three per cents., in the names of the aforesaid governors and assistants, the dividends to be laid out in coals, potatoes, bread, flour, meal, provisions, and clothing, or any of them, to be distributed in March every year to such poor of the town of Ashbourn, Compton, Sturston, and Clifton Lanes adjoining, as the said governors shall think fit, in sums varying from 1s. 6d. to 4s.
to site home page - www.ashbourne-town.com