Ashbourne - Places Of Interest

Some of the buildings in the town date back to the 12th Century, but it is for its Georgian architecture that Ashboune is noted for. Church Street in particular is one of the finest streets of Georgian buildings in Derbyshire. Its most spectacular building must the parish church of St Oswald's.

The following is a list of some of the places of architectural and/or historical interest that the town has to offer visitors. Needless to say it is not complete yet.

St Oswald's Church (Also See Our Detailed Page on :-St Oswalds Church)

The parish church of St Oswald's, dates back to 1220. Its 212 ft spire was referred to by George Eliot as the "finest single spire in England". The chancel is the oldest part off the church and contains 12 lancet windows and the tomb of Robert de Knivetin. There are many fine examples of stain glass windows, the best being one by Kempe showing the coats of arms of Normandy and England. The gateway to the church is also worthy of note set with carved skulls.

sto1.jpg
Oswalds
35.41 Kb

sto2.jpg
Spire
6.66 Kb

sto3.jpg
Skulls
7.04 Kb

sto4.jpg
Entrance gates
57.68 Kb

sto5.jpg
Oswalds
22.16 Kb

Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School

The original school buildings stand in Church St, opposite St Oswald's Church. The school was founded in 1585 by Sir Thomas Cockayne (whose coat of arms is over the door) during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. It is no longer used as a school and its future is as yet undecided. The "new" Queen Elizabeth Grammar School (QEGS) is on two sites - (Derby Old Rd and Green Rd).

quegs2.jpg
Coat of Arms
37.39 Kb

qegs1.jpg
Queen Elizabeths
25.54 Kb

 Owlfield Almshouses

These were built in 1640 for the "poor folk" of Ashbourne. They were "modernised" and a 2nd floor added in 1818.

arms1.jpg
Owlfield1
30.45 Kb

arms2.jpg
Owlfield2
26.10 Kb

Dr Taylor's House

Just opposite St Oswald's Church is the 18th C house of Dr John Taylor, a friend of Dr Johnson.

drtaylor.jpg
Dr Taylors
21.30 Kb

Madge House

At the corner of St John's St and Park Rd is the fine Georgian Madge House, it was here in 1794 the the daughters of Erasmus Darwin started a school for girls. Madge house is now a residential home for the elderly.

madge.jpg
Madge House
35.41 Kb

The Green Man Royal Hotel

The Gingerbread Shop

to site home page - www.ashbourne-town.com