(from Lewis, 1848, Vol 2, p.621) IRETON, KIRK (Holy Trinity). A parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth, southern division of the county of Derby, 2 3/4 miles south- south-west from Wirksworth; containing 865 inhabitants [in 1848], and comprising by measurement 2,253 acres. On the 12th of May 1811, the village and neighbourhood were visited by an awful tornado, accompanied by lightning and loud claps of thunder; large trees were twisted from their roots, most of the houses were unroofed, and the church was stripped of its lead, which was blown into the adjoining fields. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at 7 pounds 10 shillings and 10 pence; net income, 355 pounds; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield; the glebe consists of 68 acres, with a house. The church, supposed to have been built about the 13th century, has several handsome arches in the Norman style. There is a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists. A school was erected and endowed by the Rev John SLATER, in 1686; and an annuity of 5 pounds, arising from a bequest by John BOWER in 1744, is paid for the instruction of girls. The Rev Mr SLATER also bequeathed lands for the poor of the parish.
(From Woolley's Derbyshire, c.1715, DRS 1981, No.139, pp.207) KIRKE IRETON lies about a mile south of Wirksworth. So called because it has a church and a pretty good one with a square steeple standing pretty eminent. It is a rectory in the King's book 7 pounds 10 shillings. It is a hilly, middling land. It was called in Doomsday Book  Hiretune and was part of the king's land. 16 Henry VI [1437/8] Sir John COKAYNE, Knight died and left this lordship, amongst many others to his son John, in which family it long continued. The GELLS also held lands here, though there are many freeholders. Every Trinity Sunday the four Chamberlains of Derby got to Kirke Ireton, where they have a sermon and a dinner, and some money given to the poor, for which they have 4 pounds allotted yearly, which was left to the Corporation by one Mr STORER, born here. There is also a free school erected and school house built - the endowment is 8 pounds left by John SLATER for teaching sixteen poor children. The trustees are Sir Philip GELL, Sir Nathaniel CURZON, etc. It is taxed with Ireton Wood.