Kniveton, Derbyshire

Kniveton is quite a large village 2 1/2 miles from Ashbourne on the Ashbourne-Wirksworth road.

It is mentioned in the Doomesday book, and lead was mined here by the Romans.

Kniveton in 1891:-

Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland - 1891

KNIVETON is a township, parish and village, on the road from Ashborne to Wirksworth, 3 miles north-east from Ashborne station on the Chunet Valley section of the North Staffordshire railway, 150 from London and 6 south-west from Wirksworth, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred, Ashborne union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ashborne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.

The church of St. Michael is a building of stone, seated on an acclivity, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower, with a short spire and containing 2 bells of the 17th century, one being dated 1665 : some traces of the Norman origin of this church are seen in the plain semi-circular arch of the porch, in the chancel and in a circular stone, rudely carved with a crucifix, and found here in 1842 : the font, the basin of which stands on a clustered group of eight columns, is Early English and dates from the I3th century: the Perpendicular east window is a memorial to the late Mrs. Stafford, and was erected in 1879 by Mr. Zaccheus William Stafford: in the south window of the chancel is a quartered shield of arms, with some other fragments and on the south side of the church is a brass to Ann, wife of Merry Wibberly (1810) and a mural monument of marble to Greenwood Holmes (1779) : the church was restored in 1870: the silver communion plate is dated 1572, and was given to the church by Lady Frances Kniveton : there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1591, and is in good condition.

The living is a vicarage, average yearly tithe rent-charge £20, with 14l acres of glebe, net £75, in the gift of John Harrison esq, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Robert Gray B.A. of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge: a vicarage house was erected in 1876.

Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. Gisborne's charity of £6 10s. yearly, left 7th May, 1818, by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, is for clothing, and Gaunt's, of £1, for distribution: John Hard, by his will, dated 31st December, 1715, left 20s. yearly for the poor.

Stony Crofts, the residence of Miss Stafford, is pleasantly situated in the village.
John Godber esq. is lord of the manor.
The principal landowners are A. Bell and John Bailey esqs. and Mrs. Stafford. The soil is heavy; subsoil, limestone.
The land is chiefly in pasture and a considerable portion is tithe free.
The acreage is 1,974 ; rateable value, £3,011; the population in 1881 was 272.

Sexton, F. Higgins.

WALL LETTER BOX, in the centre of the village, cleared at 5 p.m. week days only. Letters through Ashborne, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 8.30 a.m

Church School (mixed), erected in 1861, for 50 children ; average attendance, 40 ; Miss Thirza Higgins, mistress

Gray Rev. Robert M.A. Vicarage
Hill Mrs. Cliff cottage
Stafford Miss, Stony crofts

COMMERCIAL.

Adams John Chas. farmer, Pett hills
Baker Thomas, Angel P.H
Barker John, farmer, Church farm
Barsby Charles, cowkeeper
Beard Charles, Greyhound P.H
Beard Thomas, wheelwright
Bridgewood Jn. farmr. & lime burner
Buckstone Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Chalinor Thomas, farmer, The Park
Cowley Thomas, farmer, Kniveton wood
Derbyshire Wm. farmer, Agnes meadow
Eyre John, shoe maker
Gennis Thomas, farmer & landowner, Kniveton wood
Hall John, farmer, Horsely
Hall John, jun. farmer, Knowle farm
Hodgkinson Josh. Red Lion P.H. & farmr
Lee Robert, farmer, Woodhead
Lowe Thomas, farmer, Brick farm
Mather Esther (Mrs.), dress maker
Mather Luke, blacksmith
Mather William, shopkeeper
Melland John, farmer

Millward Mary (Mrs.), farmr. & landownr
Oakden John, farmer
Oakden Joseph, farmer, Agnes meadow
Oldfield John, farmer, White lands
Renshaw George, farmer
Roome William, shopkeeper
Rowbottom Henry, farmer
Sherwin John, farmer, Woodhead farm
Smith Levi, farmer, Ketchams
Smith Thomas, farmer, Brook farm
Stafford Jacob, farmer, Standlow farm
Tatlow George, farmer, Old hall
Taylor Anthony, farmer
Taylor Robert, farmer
Tomlinson William, shoe maker
Warrington William, farmer, Crow trees
Webster Samuel, cattle dealer
Weston Thomas, farmer
Wigley George, jun. farmer, Foxholes
Wigley Matthew, wheelwright
Wigley Robert, farmer, Brunswood


Following photos courtesy of Richard Woolley


Kniveton Church

View from the Hillocks

Village School & Hall

Red Lion Pub

Kniveton Church

Old Vicarage

Methodist Chapel

Chapel Lane

Main Road

Farmers Glory Lodge

Pethills Lane

Village Pump

Alfreton - 16 miles

Ashbourne - 3 miles


Accommodation Locally


Kniveton Womens Institute - Good local site - well dressings, church, newsletter etc.
Vision Of Britain - Historical statisical information on the village


to villages menu

to site home page - www.ashbourne-town.com